Thursday, November 1, 2007

Roads Don't Kill People, Cars Kill People.

Every time I tell someone my route home from work the reaction is the same: "Oh my God, you ride those roads at night? Aren't those roads dangerous?" I usually just shrug and say some thing like, "Meh... with my HID light everybody can see me coming. No biggie."

No. The roads aren't dangerous. The cars are dangerous. The people driving the cars are dangerous. How is that not blindingly obvious?

Me on my bike riding down a road? Safe!
Me on my bike riding down the road with some Starsky & Hutch wannabe blasting his shitbox around corners? Not so safe!

So how should I make myself safe? I'm thinking guerrilla. Maybe plaster stickers on every sign from my house to my work that say something clever about not running over cyclists. Paint something on the roadway. Anything that will make toolboxes think twice about rolling out like The Fast and the Furious on my roads.

No comments: